When I tell people I get up at 5am everyday, I usually get the same few responses: “are you crazy?!”, “WHY?!” and “I’m just not a morning person“. Did these thoughts just go through your head? A year ago I thought them too. We all know that being an early riser has more pros than cons, yet we still can’t find the willpower to actually get out of bed! Here are my favourite tips to ease you in to becoming a morning person:
- Set your alarm 15 minutes earlier // If you usually set your alarm for 7am, getting up a whole 2 hours earlier is going to be a struggle. Set your alarm just 15 minutes earlier than what you do now and do this for a week. By the end of the week, your body will have adjusted to this new time. Do the same again the next week, then the next; setting your alarm back another 15 minutes. By the end of the month, you’ll be getting up a whole hour earlier and it won’t even have seemed like a struggle!
- Do something fun // What better way to start the day than to do something fun?! We all lack motivation to get up in the morning, so reward yourself immediately when you wake up! Watch an episode of something on Netflix with a coffee and have the best possible start to the day!
- Turn on the lights // Being woken out of a deep sleep doesn’t feel particularly nice. If your room is all dark and cosy, you’re much more likely to struggle waking up. Get a timer switch to plug your bedside lamp in to and set the time for half and hour earlier than your alarm. This way, your room will be bright and will start waking your brain up so you won’t feel as groggy when your alarm rings!
- Find an accountability buddy // Find yourself a friend who also wants to wake up early in the morning and do it together. You’ll be less likely to sleep in if someone else is counting on you for motivation! Try calling them as soon as your alarm rings. Even just a 5 minute conversation will wake your brain up and make it easier to stay awake. Physically talking and formulating sentences will make you wake up faster and less likely to hit snooze!
- Don’t hit snooze! // The worst part of about getting up is the waking up, so WHY would you choose to do this repeatedly?! Get up the first time your alarm rings and stop prolonging the pain!
- Create a bedtime routine // Waking up early will be much easier if you’ve had a good sleep the night before. Make sure you go to bed early enough to get your 8 hours of sleep and create a routine to signal to your body that it’s time to wind down. This can be as simple as a bath just before bed to help you relax. I’ll be sharing my bedtime routine with you soon, so make sure to pop back for that for some ideas!
Remember that nobody starts off a ‘morning person’, so give it a go and be surprised at how well you manage! Try these tips and you’ll realise that waking up earlier is much easier than you think! (There’s also a Part 2 coming your way soon, so get started with these tips and you can try the others soon!)
Let me know if you try any of these and share your tips for getting up early!